Monday, November 21, 2011

Gates of Great Wexley

Traveling through many interesting places with Bear was amazing. I never thought I would even get a chance to leave Stromford Village. Though our journey so far we went to a town that was called Lodgecot. To me it looked EXACTLY like Stromford, it was so weird. Well now on our journey we had made it to a town that's called Great Wexly. I was so excited because Father Quinel had told me this is the place where I could gain my liberties. Bear had come with me to this village because he had to take care of some business. As we drew closer and closer towards Great Wexly noticed we began to see more people. We saw a man walking very slowly with his head down. Then a closed wagon came close by, it had wheels rimmed with iron, pulled by large horses. All this was surrounded by armed men with glaives. Bear had informed me that this was most likely a rich lady. Bear then pointed out and showed me different merchants, London, Flemish, and Italian. There were also many nuns, monks, and priests. One monk happened to pass by with a black robe, then another with a brown robe and sandaled feet.

Looking around and examining every part of Great Wexly I could see I ask Bear some questions. I looked straight out and as far as I could see I saw such an immense brown stone wall, I was so curious about it. I turned around and asked Bear what it was. He had told me that it was a wall that circled around the town. I wondered why it was a circle out of all the shapes and Bear explained to me that it was because it was a way to keep out enemies. I looked closer and noticed that there were crosses also on the wall circling around the town. It was hung like pendants, to me, as weird as it sounds, it seemed like the town had long hair. I drew closer to the walls of the town and I was wondering why people were packing together so tightly. Then I realize that the town's entryway was built into the great wall and it was a deep tunnel that showed just how thick the walls were. Bear then said that this is the Bishop Gate. This entryway consisted of two massive black wooden doors; each one of the huge doors had been studded with iron bolts. The door had swung open and there were guards on the other side with weaponry. This brought back memories of the bridge. I told whispered to myself "They're looking for someone."

At the gate Bear tried to calm me down with some advice. He had told me that the less I seem worried the better off I am the worst disguise is fear. I was so scared that I would be caught, but another piece of advice Bear told me was that if they tried to stop me I should run into a crowd my size. I saw two lines that began to form and as we got closer I began to get more and more nervous. Bear saw how uncomfortable I was so he said that as soon as we get close enough to the gate then I can pull out the pipe and start playing it as he starts to dance. With being so nervous and scared, Bear’s plan actually worked. We were now in Great Wexly!

Walking through the town i realize that it did have some similarities as Stromford. You couldn't have passed by anyone without receiving some sort of nod or greeting. Strolling around here and there i realize the horrible stench the great town has. The air was filled with the smell of rotting foods, food, dung, manure, human slop, and swill, all mixed together. I think that was the worst thing I had ever smelled in my entire life! After our long journey walking on dirt and mud roads I was relieved to see that there was stone roads. Not only people roamed the streets but so did animals like pigs, chickens, geese, dog, and rats scurried through the massive crowd. Passing the huge crowd I see many structures that were built so close together that seemed like they were about to touch. The structures were two and sometimes three stories high, they were built of slate, not thatched roofs. For most of the houses they were built of timber beams with pale mortar filling in between the wood. Here and there would be such a grand building it looked like it was going to touch the sky. Most of the houses i saw had countless windows (mostly with shutters but some with glass), and doors! I haven't in my life seen so many! Many of the buildings had great wooden images hung on the outside such as a fish, a pig, a helmet, a jacket, a hoop, even a shelf of wheat. This as i thought would inform passersby what goods are being sold. After looking all around the town Bear grabs me and takes me to a building that had a straw-stuffed man painted in green, dangling from a pole. Bear said it was the Green Man Tavern.

Entering the Green Man Tavern I look around everywhere like what i did to the town. Looking around the gigantic room I see a few small candles that were stuck in all the crooks and crannies of the room. It wasn't a really lit room; it was a pretty dim and smokey room. It had a really bad smell of bad ale, stale bread, and sour wine. Below a low beaming sealing there were so many trestle tables and benches.  The most i had ever seen in a room. The floor was made of thick wooden slabs with dirty rushes. Behind the counter was a lady. She was dressed in a brown, grease-spotted kirtle, she had a lopsided white linen cap upon her dark and gay-streaked tresses. She walked towards Bear and I. As she was walking towards us she had t squint to see who we were. After figuring who we were she said "God's wounds" to Bear. As a response Bear said: And on my honor it's Widow Daventry." Widow Daventry had then welcomed us to Great Wexly. She already talked to Bear; now she wanted to get to know me. She asked me what my name was and where i was from. To that i replied that my name was Crispin and i was from Stromford Village. Bear to clarify he said that it was one of Lord Furnival's holdings.

After talking Widow Daventry took us upstairs into a long, dark, narrow hallway. We walk down pretty far 'till we get to a door and she unlocks it. She tells me to walk in, so i did. Bear also walked in. We stayed in the room for a bit to get comfy. Bear then left and told me to stay in the room till he gets back. I got too board of waiting so i left. I went out to explore great Wexly some more. Before leaving i take Bear's dagger that he had left on the table. I walk downstairs and out to explore. I had some money on me so i bought some white bread from a street vendor. Moving along i see a cluster of men crowding around this one lady. One of the men lead the lady's horse and the others marched on either sides of her. I take a closer look as they pass by and i realize it's Lady Furnival!

As to me it seemed like the world had been multiplied! i have never noticed how many people were in the world, i have never seen this many people. Sprawling around i come across the town's square. It was just a vast open space that was bigger than Stromford's entire commons. There were buildings in all sides, some seemed newer than others, some were straight and others were saggy. But by far the biggest structure was the cathedral. It had stuck out from the others so much. The cathedral had plain towers that soared up in the sky with a multitude of towers. Looked like floating arches the towers joined together. There were many statues that looked like they could come to life. Between the high front towers I saw a vast circle of stone and multicolored glass. The main entryway was right below it with deep frames that had columns and even more statues! The church looked like it was touching the sky and heading up to Heaven.

Across the Giant Cathedral was the manor house. It was the other great structure that had three levels. On the first level there were big wooden doors that set an open space; either side of the doors had windows. On the second floor there were four huge windows side by side with pillars and stone tracery. There was also a huge balcony that was right before the windows. Flags of blue and black hung on poles. The third level had the smallest windows. Unlike the church it stood alone and it was hemmed in close on either side by ordinary structures.

Between the two structures was the town square itself. This was where foods and goods were sold. Most of the people in the square were walking like me but a few people passed by on horseback. People sold clothes like Moscovy furs, Toledo daggers, Flemish hats, Italian gloves, etc. On top of all that there were shoes, tools, and armor. Seeing all this i wish i hadn't spent my penny on the loaf of white bread from the vendor. I cruise around the square and then i walk into the church. I can't believe my eyes! Is that John Aycliffe i see?! Looking closely i see it is and he cries out "There! And pointed at me. The boy! The wolf's head! He's here! Catch him!" I saw people coming after me so i dashed right out. Not having a sense of where i was going i just kept running a running. I was way too scared to look back. I just kept on running till i saw a guard that ordered me to "Halt!"

Before I know it we were right at the gate to enter, then i see to guards. The guards cried out Wolf's head and ordered me to halt, i had not had enough time to get Bear's dagger from my pocket. I had to think of a way to distract the guards so i can get the dagger out of my pocket.  So i screamed out "Keep away!" It actually worked, had enough time to grab the dagger, after the guards saw the dagger they hesitated a bit. I lunged full speed ahead towards the guards trying to pass by them; one of the guards had a stick. As i dashed by him he hit my wrist with the stick and afterwards it was in throbbing pain! The guards tried to go after me but i already ran into an alley.

I wondered around for a bit until i realized the sun was setting. Before i knew it I saw a couple guards leave the gate and leaving only two. One of the two asked me if i wanted to leave and I said "Yes....Sir." Then he sad "Too late. They're closed. They’ll be open in the morning at prime." I stood there for a bit not knowing what to do, so i just stood there, frozen like a statue. Then one of the soldiers told me to leave. I left and went into an alley. I then heard some footsteps. I got frightened and I pressed my body against the wall. Even after the sounds of the footsteps passed i as still too scared to move. i then heard someone scream out "CRISPIN! STOP!" Hearing someone call me name terrified me so much. Stopping and turning around i realize it was Bear. You don't even understand how relieved i was. Bear had told me that he had just seen John Aycliffe, the steward of Stromford, in the great Church.

I followed Bear back to the Green Man Tavern. I sat on the star and ate my bread like a good boy. I sat there and kept on thinking about that man Bear was talking about, the one he was going to have a meeting with. The man that was on my mind was John Ball. I was too curious and couldn't just sit there so i peeked out the dim hall way. Bear was sitting at the table with his back facing me and the other guy assumed was John Ball. The man was quite small compared to Bear. I overheard their convocation and John Ball said that "Lord Furnival is dead." "There is so much confusion. Lady Furnival has summoned all the authorities from his manors. By now i was tired of listening so i went back upstairs. Bear was engaged in rebellion of some sort that i couldn't doubt.

I then had to go to the Church for the Feast of John the Baptist. A little while after i was there i recognize someone that walked in. It was the one-eyed boy that we saw when Bear and I were performing at the first village. Widow Daventry then took me into the kitchen. She told me how to make pies. I followed her instructions and made some pies. She had told me to make sure i don't burn them. So the first batch looked pretty good. I checked on them again and they were uniformly brown. I slid the tray out trying to pick up the pie and put it on one of the shelves. Then i dropped the pie and broke it! i had no idea what to do so i just shoved it down my throat. Widow Daventry wasn't pleased with me.

I stepped into the passageway between the two buildings. I saw something from a distance, they looked like soldiers. I quickly pull back onto the passageway and peeked out watching the soldiers stop. I went inside the building and without hesitating it just yanked the door open and warned Bear. Everyone dashed to the back door and rammed each other down to get out. Everybody jumped over the fence including me. Bear was on his way over then he got caught by the soldiers. I didn't know if I should've looked back or if i should've just continued running. I decided to continue running since i was already too late. The soldiers already got Bear. Bear had now been taken by the soldiers.

I make my way back to the Green Man Tavern and find the place destroyed! The benches and tables had been smashed. I asked Widow Daventry what had happened and she said that it was the soldiers! I tell her that Bear had been taken by the soldiers. Later on Widow Daventry leaves me and now i am alone. I just sat there for the remainder of the day doing nothing but just staying in the hiding place.

I was supposed to go out but then i spied something. I saw John Ball and all the other guys still disguising matters about what they talked about earlier. John Ball and Bear were both in the same brotherhood. The brotherhood was to bring change to peasant’s lives during the Middle Ages.  I then couldn't take it anymore and just went up to them and asked them to take me to the castle. I told them that I was going to save Bear. One of the men took him to the town square and then he just vanished. I then walked all the way to the castle by myself from there.

I finally get the the castle. There are two guards at the door and i need to find a way to get past them. When they weren't looking i ran in between the two buildings. I left Bear's bag on the ground and then tried the climb the building and get to the balcony. Reaching the balcony i walk down the hall and saw John Aycliffe. He asked me whey i was there. I then a deal with the man and said "If he frees Bear i will give him the lead cross and we will never be seen in Great Wexly ever again." He accepted the offer and took me to Bear. I freed him and we both walked out to the gate. The soldiers were surrounding us. Bear got mad at John Aycliffe so he picked him up and threw him. His body hit the soldier’s swords and he died. Now all the soldiers were in shock. I put the cross on his dead body and walked away with Bear. Bear and I walked away, through the gates proud and happy. From this point on I know that i had a name, it was Crispin and not Asta's son anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment