Monday, November 14, 2011

Leaving Stromford

My name is Asta's son, I guess? I am a 13 year-old peasant boy that lives in Stromford Village. Stromford had a church in the middle, a river to the side, a manor where the steward lived, a couple mills where wheat and barley was grinded, and a place where the peasants grazed animals such as oxen and sheep. For a while now Stromford had been controlled by John Aycliffe, as Lord Fernival was away at war. My mother had just died due to the Great Plague and my father died from the Great Mortality. Due to my mother’s death I had to give up my ox for the death penalty. I didn’t know what to do and had nowhere to go so I scrambled into the woods. I went deeper and deeper into the woods as my leather shoes kept getting caught on roots and stones causing me to fall. Each time I fell I picked myself right back up and continued to run until the time my head struck stone. I woke up finding John Aycliffe talking to a stranger. The stranger then spotted me and stared to run at me with his sword! You wouldn't understand how terrified I was! I got up, tripped and fell. Then, I just spent the rest of the night in the forest hiding. There was a search party going after me so I had to take cover and hide. Therefore my visit to Father Quinel had to wait until the next day, I was really sad. I then find out that some awful person  has now accused me of something I have not done, steal money from the manor house. I was then proclaimed a wolf’s head by the steward! I then dashed down to the church where Father Quinel was and he gave me some information I should have known and some food. He told me that my mother was literate, my name was Crispin, and that my father did not die from the Great Plague. I was in shock, I HAD A NAME?!  How could I have such a royal name. I was only a peasant in the manor. I worked long hours from sunset to sunrise with little pay and food. My mother had to pay unfair taxes and the value of my life was not more than a penny. Yet, I had a name so grand, Crispin. 

I have never been outside Stromford village; therefore I’m petrified of leaving to a foreign village. Not knowing where to go is horrifying and uncomfortable. I wish i had someone to talk to but I just found Father Quinel on the ground, lying there with a slit across his neck and blood gushing out of it! Without doubt I swear the death of Father Quinel had to do with me and my mother. Maybe it was because the priest was helping me by telling me information about my mother and father? There, I froze there in time; I could only lay my eyes on him, trying to urge to leave him. I ran into the woods trying to forget the horrifying image in my mental screen, but it had scarred me. I am devastated that someone would do something like that, even John Aclyiffe. From seeing Father Quinel, my best friend, i couldn't take it anymore and I ran off again. Sometime i would run, but others all I could do was walk. Then I  stopped when I saw the eye catching an omen that stood right before me. I thought was a message sent from God. It as a hanging man that had one eye that was hanging from its socket and the other one was budged out. His face was moldy green and his fingers looked like which they were chewed off by a pack of wolves. I was thinking to myself, why did God send me this message? Am I dead in hell? God, where am I supposed to go? Where are you leading me?...

No comments:

Post a Comment