Saturday, November 19, 2011

Traveling With Bear

After all the days of walking and running through the dusty, muddy roads I reached an abandoned village. It looked like a cluster of cottages but the tallest of the buildings that stuck out to me was the huge stone church. There were no animals roaming the roads, the fields look like they haven't been plowed in a while, roofs were collapsed, etc. After seeing all this before me I thought I was in hell. God, did you take me to hell?  I took a closer look and realize that it looks like the remains of a village that had been destroyed by the Great Plague. After seeing all this in front of me I was curious and decided to explore some more. I decided to go into one of the better structures, an empty cottage with half of a roof. Walking further into the house I look carefully and I see a brown-boned skeleton with its open ribs laying out, once fair hair dangling, and with fleshless hands holding onto a cross. After seeing this awful looking body all I wanted to do was flee. Then I heard a voice coming from the broken church.
"Ah, dear God, how can this be
That all things wear and waste away!"
I couldn't believe what i heard! Is that a living voice a hear?! I was hesitant to go inside the abandoned church at first but them I thought to myself "A church is an unlikely place for evil spirits to abide." The only thing in my mind at the time was food, so I walked in bravely. I walked by the side of the church, where windows were once were, but now they are just empty holes. Walking closer I heard the voice again, then I see something that looked like anything other than skeleton. With a closer look I see a man whose arms and legs thick as tree limbs, and a tube-like looking belly that stuck out. He also had a bushy beard that was really red, a large red  and fleshy nose, hairy eyebrows. and cherry-colored lips. Clothing wise he was wearing a black tunic, ankle-length hose with a different color on each side(one blue as the other red), brown leather boots with somewhat pointy tips. Even though with all the different colored clothing he had, there were many patches and I was able to see his hairy skin coming through. This man that I saw standing right near me finally saw me, I got startled. Then he started asking me where I was going and personal questions like how old I was. I told him I was about thirteen years old and I was "Going to see my father." He asked me if I was hungry, my mouth started to water like crazy I was so hungry! Before I know it he takes out a lump of bread and I reached out towards it without hesitation. In a split second he grips my wrist with great force, I cried out "I ONLY WANTED BREAD!" The man told me that bread is never free, he basically held me hostage. Griping to me tighter and tighter he asked  me question after question. One of the questions he asked me was why I had to run away, so I told him I was proclaimed a wolf's head and I was accused of stealing from the manor house. I swore to him that I didn't steal anything from anywhere, and he asked about my mom and dad. So I told him that both were dead. Then he released my wrist.
I was relieved I was out of pain. The man asked me what my name was and my simple response was Asta's son, he didn't believe me. He said it wasnt a name, only a description, then I tell him,"okay I guess its....Crispin."  After telling him he asked how I got such a noble name for a poor rubbish boy. Then he said he must teach him something like playing music. It doesn't matter what village he enter, as you are just a little boy, alone, traveling, proclaimed a wolf's head, the village will just swallow me. The man told me his name was Bear. Bear told me that he will teach me some talent. When I learned we were going to head to Great Wexly I was really excited! I couldn't believe it! I remembered Father Quinel telling me that that's where I can gain my librities.Finally the two of us took off on our journey together.
Before I know it the lifeless village was now behind us and we are on our journey. Through our journey I learned a lot about Bear and Bear learned a lot about me. He even taught me how to sing and play the recorder. He told me we could preform in the town when we could. I learned that Bear's first profession was suppose to be a priest, but then his father made him want to leave the profession because he told him he ate a lot and caused too much trouble. Bear even told me his feelings about Lord Furnival. He thought he was a cruel man lacking skills and he made up for it by bragging, drinking and killing. Worst of all Furnival even took money from others for himself, what a greedy man! Therefore Bear considered  all nobles, kings, and lords arrogant and cruel. For what I had told Bear was about my mother. I told him that she had just recently passed away. She was always the person that got stuck will all the hard worked assigned by the steward and didn't get paid much at all. No one was even nice enough to thank her for her great work. After telling Bear all about me, we see something in a distance.
We take a closer look and realize it is John Aycliffe with twelve other men! Bear and I start to panic, we then hide behind the closes thing we saw so he wouldn't spy us. I wasn't the only one that was alarmed, Bear was also, he didn't understand why trying the hunt me down and killing me was so important to john Aycliffe. I was frightened half to death! By now I told myself, the faster I learn how to stay alive the long i will live. I didn't think I would actually tell  myself that, now I feel like a value my life more.
Bear then tells me that he is part of something.... a brotherhood. He explains that the brotherhood helps him get freedom and to improve the life in the middle ages. He must go to Great Wexly because he promised his brotherhood that he will survey citizens and by their answers he will form a final judgement with his brotherhood on what should be done. Bear also had a rebellion against the king. He wanted equality, justice, and rights for everyone, but mainly peasants.
From a distance,again, I saw something else that perhaps looked like a village. Getting closer to it, it felt like deja vĂ¹. To me it looked EXACTLY like Stromford, if no one told me I would've thought it was Stromford. Men, women, and children were all at  work weeding, plowing, and hoeing. They wore similar clothes to what people of Stromford wore. Here and there I would see a sheep or cattle graze. I thought that it was so weird I had traveled this far and see another village that looks almost identical to Stromford. Perhaps all villages looked the same? Walking around some more Bear told me that we should perform now. So Bear told me to start playing some music, so I did. As I was playing some music, he started to dance in the center. Midway through the performance Bear started to juggle his leather balls. There were "oohs" and "ahhs" coming in all directions. Then a little boy walks up with one eye. The other eye was patched up with an eye patch. He was a mysterious person that we happened to come upon.
After exploring the village Bear took me to the church. I was in the church with Bear looking around. Again, it looked like the church in Stromford, but I realized some of the imagery was different. The picture of Jesus harrowing Hell, to demons frightened to behold. A little after an official walked in with a troop of people. They all said that I, a youth was very dangerous! I was in shock. Me?! Then they said how I was proclaimed a wolf's head. Bear and I then learn that I also have been framed for killing Father Quinel. Right there, right then, I had NO CLUE why I was getting blamed for all this. Why in the world would I kill my only friend?!

No comments:

Post a Comment